27 August 2017

Wither the Commonweal

Under One Banner is written.  It needs the careful addition of dates to all the chapters.  When I wrote it, the presence of one immutable date in the text was going to give me all the other dates via relative offsets.  Looking at it now, I may have know those relative offsets while I was actively writing it, but I don't know them anymore, so this is going to be an annoying process.

The thing in the way of Under One Banner is The Human Dress, my long-ago attempt at a big fluffy fantasy brick.  Various logistical vicissitudes have attended on it, but primarily that it's about 320,000 words long.  This... slows things down.  I still hope to have The Human Dress out in 2017.  (It's been through pass-one copy edit; I have to turn it around for pass two.)

I expect -- presuming I stay employed and housed, there's an available copy-editor, no rifts in space-time devour Google's servers, etc. -- that Under One Banner will make it out during the second quarter of 2018.  This might well be optimistic of me.

The next one, A Mist of Grit and Splinters, has hit the point where I really need those dates from Under One Banner. It's got a beginning, a middle, and an end; the framework sections are all done.  I've figured out that the original draft involves two viewpoints, and that Slow and Duckling may have certain similarities of outlook but are not the same person.  I maintain a hope of publishing it in 2019.

(The one after that, The Hempen Jig, is going to be something of a horror novel and probably not have any Commonweal viewpoints in it at all, though the viewpoints will be interacting with Commonweal persons.  I have lots and lots of notes for this one.)

8 comments:

-dsr- said...

Huzzah!

In a probably meaningless bit of coincidence, I re-read The March North this weekend and started in on rereading Succession.

Unknown said...

You write 'em, we'll read 'em

CB said...

Many thanks for the update.

You publish them and I will buy them.

JD said...

Something to look forward to in 2018!

dd-b said...

I've enjoyed the three rather different Commonweal books I've read so far (I think that's all of them published), so I will certainly continue doing so. Nor would one I didn't love drive me off from the one after that necessarily (maybe a direct sequel to one I didn't like would get skipped).

That world, outside the Commonweal, could certainly be a setting for horror! I'm not much a fan of horror but sometimes it works for me (Thomas Harris, at least the first three).

For that matter, I've been talking them up when I could -- to no effect that I can tell, nobody has come back as a fan that I've noticed.

Graydon said...

+dd-b Thank you! I remain surprised that anyone likes these at all.

And, yeah, outside the Commonweal is inherently pretty horrific.

Brian M. Scott said...

I suspect that they’re the literary equivalent of liver: they may have a limited audience, but the members of that audience tend to be quite enthusiastic. At any rate, I’m quite looking forward to Under One Banner; that makes at least two things very much to look forward to in 2018, the other being Cast in Deception. (And with luck three, if War makes it out by the end of the year.) In the meantime I shall look forward to seeing the final version of the Doorstop.

TUG Daniel O'Neil said...

mmmmm....liver....