At least relatively speaking.
After much flailing about online, much peering at catalogs at the LBS, and subsequent discovery that any 180mm SRAM crank that isn't carbon (that being the shifters and the bottom bracket and I really like the current setup, if only it wouldn't bend in inappropriate ways) would have to come by sea from Taiwan as a special order per the available distributors, I went and looked at the Experiment standing there with no cranks and snapped a little. (I am paranoid about carbon and the prospect of carbon fibre slivers gives me the cave creeps in a comprehensive way.)
The combination of a crank and BB from High Sierra and chain rings from Praxis will either not bend or I'm going to have to find a new hobby.
And yes, I know, it's almost certainly something like one of the spider arms on that particular rival crank being ever so slightly proud and greatly encouraging the chainrings to fold, rather than an instance of the Everything Is Fragile problem, but that's just not how I'm feeling about the whole thing right now.
(and, also, yes, I know; it's an issue of materials that I can afford to fix. Tiny subset of first world problems, problem.)
And July is generally not good cycling time due to risk of poaching or poisoning anyway, and I shall keep telling myself that.
30 June 2012
At least relatively speaking.
28 June 2012
The answer to "how long does it take Graydon to bend a Blackspire chainring" turns out to be "about 80 km".
Suspicion has fallen on the spider integral to the particular Rival crank all those bending has been happening on; it's possible one of the arms isn't quite flat with respect to the others.
And certainly the guy at the LBS was nicely flummoxed, which is something.
24 June 2012
So I got Hugh Black of True North Cycles to repaint the Experiment this spring; this was about the only way of getting the car-scuff from May of 2011 off. I also got him to retrofit the ability to use SON SL hubs into the front fork. (These feed up through a wire in the fork and take the return via the fork, so there isn't a concern about removing small connectors before you can take the front wheel off. Figuring out how to connect the existing light to the fork for the return was interesting, but ultimately successful.)
And then I had to get it back together, something that was happening while I had the poor forethought and planning as to move. (Although the new quarters have way more space for doing things like working on bicycles. And wider doors.) So the basic re-assembly took rather longer than planned, and I managed during that to totally botch the rear Berthoud fender install, and realized that the front fender daruma bolt wouldn't work; there was no way to keep it from crushing the in-fork wire, which emerges from under the fork crown. So I gave up:
Getting there had the unfortunate consequence of managing to bend the 50 tooth chain ring; since I'd acquired an Avid steel ring over the winter to hopefully avoid that happening, I was kinda sad.
I got to keep the third water bottle position, despite larger tyres and new fenders, by resorting to a very minimalist Avid water bottle cage. The front two are Lyzene, which have the advantage of working well with the Lyzene back-of-the-bottle-cage pump mount (you can just see it lurking back there) and holding ferociously; the bottles do not rattle whatsoever. Which means the finger rings don't hit the frame and make me wonder what's about to fly off the bike.
Now if I can get some weather that avoids humidex or smog advisories...